Purchases and Payments

Located on Skyward

Today's families lead busy lives, leaving less time to prepare a good breakfast or pack a well-balanced lunch. At the Big Rapids Public School Food Service Program we know how important it is for children to eat healthy. We provide a wide variety of nutritious food to our students daily to promote good health and education.

The convenience of our Skyward Online Food Service Program assures parents confidentiality and up to date information concerning what foods their child chooses to purchase and the balance of their family account. Having this information at the tip of our fingers allows us to work with you to promote life-long good health.


Each student has a personal food service barcode number/identification card which allows them to purchase items from a family account. All purchases are recorded and kept separate for each family member, but the cost is deducted from one family account. This allows the parents to issue one check for the entire family in our Big Rapids Public Schools and still determine where the money is being spent.

Purchases and payments can be tracked by our Family Access Program or by requesting an itemized statement of your family meal account.

To request a statement, contact Barb Ward by phone: (231)796-7653 or by email.

If you have Internet access and would like more information on our Family Access Program, click here.


Payments can be applied to your family account on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. Payments can be made by cash, check, or money order, payable to BRPS Food Service. Payments can be sent to school with your child or mailed to our food service central office at:

Big Rapids Public School Food Service
500 N. Warren
Big Rapids, MI 49307

Money remaining on your family account at the end of the school year will automatically transfer to the next school year. If your student is graduating or leaving the district, a signed note from a parent is required before money can be deducted from the account. Without this note we can not return the money to your child.

Free & Reduced Meals

To receive free or reduced meals, simply fill out and return a free and reduced application or you can also use your Family Access to fill out an application online. Your family income and the number of people living in your household or a food stamp or FIP case number will determine whether you qualify for free, reduced or full paid meals.

All applications are confidential. Students use their food service accounts in the same manner regardless of their qualifying status.

You can pre-pay on your family account or pay daily for the extra items your child may want to purchase. Some students have wanding messages that allow them meals only to be deducted from the family account and must pay cash for all extra items. This makes it impossible for other students to determine who is free, reduced or full paid.

If you would like more information about our free & reduced program visit the page here.
Or contact Barb Ward by phone: 231-796-7653 or by email.